Wedding planning is hecka stressful. I can only imaging the amount of details that are going through your head while trying to plan your dream wedding. Not every photographer is perfect for you, and you are going to quickly learn that. Every photographer’s style is different, and every photographer’s experience is different. I always encourage my clients to ask questions. Questions are the best way to learn whether or not you are going to absolutely LOVE your photographer. I promise you, you want to love your photographer. They are going to be with you the whole day, so you want to make sure you are comfortable with them being your personal paparazzi! Invest your time, money, and research into the photographer you pick for the most special day of your life. You will not regret it, I can guarantee that. I have created a list of 10 questions to ask your potential photographer’s to insure that you are hiring someone you can trust and will love! Trust your gut, and hire the photographer that you love. Your photographer is going to be creating work that you will cherish for generations to come. Let me preface this list with a couple of things. Make sure you always do your research even before you click that magical inquire button on their website. Dig around, look for their work, find their rates, and get to know them on their website and social media. If you send over an inquiry and bombard them with a list of questions that could’ve been answered on their “FAQ” page, it gets difficult serving clients the way that they intend due to the overwhelming amount of questions! Photographers love answering your questions, so don’t be afraid to ask, just always make sure you read their info before!
Here are my top, must ask questions BEFORE you hire your photographer!
- Do you offer second photographers with your packages?
- Describe your editing style?
- Describe your session/posing style?
- Do you include engagement photos in your wedding packages?
EQUIPMENT, LIGHTING, AND EDITING STYLE
- What equipment do you use? Do you have equipment for all lighting scenarios?
- Are you comfortable shooting in all lighting scenarios?
- Can I see MULTIPLE past wedding galleries of your work?
- What is your favorite gallery to date?
IMAGE DELIVERY AND BACKUP
- What backup systems are in place to insure the safety of my images?
- How do you deliver your images?
- How long do you keep my images backed up?
- How long will my images be kept on your gallery site?
- Do you offer complimentary album design services?
- Do you offer retouching, color adjustment, and other corrective services?
PAYMENT AND POLICIES
- Do you require a deposit? If so, how much?
- How do you accept payment? Is there an added fee if paid online?
- Do you offer payment plans?
- When will I receive the contract? (Please please please please please never book a photographer or any vendor for that matter without a signed contract! Even if its a family member. It saves everyone in the long run!)
- What is your turnaround time for wedding galleries?
- Do I receive printing rights? (If they do not give you printing rights, ask if they include prints and/or albums in your package. If not, expect to pay for prints/albums in order to get your images.)
- What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- What will you do if you cannot make it to our wedding?
- What is your social media policy? Will I be able to share images to my social media’s?
- What are your travel fees?
Those were just a few of the many questions that you can ask your photographer. Personally, when I get married, I will be asking my photographer all of these questions if not more. It helps to put your mind at ease, let your photographer know that you care, and help you find your perfect photographer! If you’re the type of person that likes easy going, calm, collected look for that in your photographer. If you need someone who is goofy, loves to dance, and doesn’t care about looking silly, look for that photographer. Your goal should be to find a photographer that makes you feel like you are already best friends. Being friends before your engagement session or wedding will help both you and your love relax and enjoy your wedding day! I hope this helps you find your dream photographer, and if you ever need help or are looking for a photographer send an inquiry my way 😉 I’d be happy to help!